Saturday, August 1, 2009

Has anyone been taking adderall long term and experienced negative addictions? what about mixing it

I am afraid my mom is addicted to adderall. She is prescribed 20 mg extended release, one a day, and she is now taking 2 or 3 a day and asking me for my prescription (i am prescribed the same but i take the recommended dose) when she runs out at the end of the month. She also drinks beer heavily, usually up to 4 beers PER night. When i see her at the end of the day now she is usually so incredibly strung out i cant even get a word in. She went off on my for really petty things today, so i turned around and drank her beer right in front of her. She was looking right at me. I even said "yeah mom, i am drinking your beer". and her mind was so far off, it took her 20 minutes to realize i drank her beer. it scared me a little. i started getting requiem for a dream flashbacks. She has lost over 40 pounds and has started sprouting grey hairs, and she is only 38. her doctor said it was liver damage due to the quick and excessive weight loss. I am freaked out. she gets angry when confronted.



Has anyone been taking adderall long term and experienced negative addictions? what about mixing it with beer?

Alright. Your mom is addicted. I'm on XR, 15 mg, but I'm fine. Perhaps the dose is too much, that made her dependent. The appetiser suppressent is also addicting. And that's why she's lost so much weight. I lost about 20 pounds with mine, but I also eat much better than I used to, which consisted of fatty foods ALL the time. The 20mg is TOO much for her, esp if she's lost so much weight. And beer? sounds to me like she's falling in a hole here. Of course she'll get angry with confrontation, she's addicted. This will take some work. First she needs to be weened off the XR, and you need to keep her away from alcohol. As temptin as it is, I just don't drink it. I have no reason, and mixing it with meds is a bad idea. I suggest you get her a therapist, and a neurologist to work with her on a new medication, or a lower dose that she won't become addicted to.



My best wishes. I am so sorry the XR is not working for her

No comments:

Post a Comment